[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Bruce Wolk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 20:25:15 -0700

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/25/04 19:15:
> Bruce Wolk wrote:
>
>> I haven't emerged foomatic again yet, but I did change the print
>> command in firefox to "kdeprinter" and tried the hp1300nt.ppd driver
>> again. This time I actually got a chance to select the printer and it
>> actually sent the job to the printer instead of nowhere, but it
>> printed a page with an error message and instructions on using
>> ghostscript.  I have never seen anything like this!  It starts out as
>> follows:
>

> You must mean "kprinter" not "kdeprinter"
>

>> The Postscript interpreter in your printer is 2014.116
>> This printout requires at least version 2015 or greater.
>>
>> It then suggests I change the print command to a complicated gs
>> command that I won't reproduce here.  Now this printer is only one
>> year old and never had any problems printing from any program in
>> Redhat 9, so I have some doubt that I really need ghostscript.
>

> Please do set the "ppds" USE flag and emerge foomatic and hpijs.  It
> won't take long.  Hopefully you will get some improvement (or at least
> something different).
>
> OK, I will admit RH9 had something going for it with some of its system
> setup guis.  The printer one was particularly nice.  It was just a
> frontend for cups, but perhaps they had a well-tested ppd driver
> included for your printer.  Nonetheless, I'm sure we can get your
> printer working in Gentoo.
It was kprinter.  The kdeprinter was a typo.

Set the ppds USE flag in make.conf and energed foomatic.  It didn't seem
to do much:
[root@pogo download]#emerge foomatic
Calculating dependencies ...done!
 >>> emerge (1 of 1) net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 to /
 >>> Unpacking source...
 >>> Source unpacked.

 >>> Install foomatic-3.0.1 into /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-3.0.1/image/
category net-print
man:
prepallstrip:
strip:
 >>> Completed installing into /var/tmp/portage/foomatic-3.0.1/image/

 >>> Merging net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 to /
  * Caching service dependencies...
 >>> net-print/foomatic-3.0.1 merged.

 >>> clean: No packages selected for removal.

 >>> Auto-cleaning packages ...

 >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

  * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

[root@pogo download]#/etc/init.d/cupsd restart
  * Stopping cupsd...
    [ ok ]
  * Starting cupsd...

I restarted cups, but nothing changed.  No new drivers were shown.  Do I
need to unmerge first?