[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 19:15:31 -0700

Bruce Wolk wrote:
> I haven't emerged foomatic again yet, but I did change the print command
> in firefox to "kdeprinter" and tried the hp1300nt.ppd driver again. This
> time I actually got a chance to select the printer and it actually sent
> the job to the printer instead of nowhere, but it printed a page with an
> error message and instructions on using ghostscript.  I have never seen
> anything like this!  It starts out as follows:

You must mean "kprinter" not "kdeprinter"

> The Postscript interpreter in your printer is 2014.116
> This printout requires at least version 2015 or greater.
>
> It then suggests I change the print command to a complicated gs command
> that I won't reproduce here.  Now this printer is only one year old and
> never had any problems printing from any program in Redhat 9, so I have
> some doubt that I really need ghostscript.

Please do set the "ppds" USE flag and emerge foomatic and hpijs.  It
won't take long.  Hopefully you will get some improvement (or at least
something different).

OK, I will admit RH9 had something going for it with some of its system
setup guis.  The printer one was particularly nice.  It was just a
frontend for cups, but perhaps they had a well-tested ppd driver
included for your printer.  Nonetheless, I'm sure we can get your
printer working in Gentoo.

Jonathan