[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 22:06:29 -0700

--On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 06:00:24 PM -0700 Bruce Wolk
<bawolk@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> I haven't emerged foomatic again yet, but I did change the print
> command in firefox to "kdeprinter" and tried the hp1300nt.ppd driver
> again. This time I actually got a chance to select the printer and it
> actually sent the job to the printer instead of nowhere, but it printed
> a page with an error message and instructions on using ghostscript.  I
> have never seen anything like this!  It starts out as follows:
>
> The Postscript interpreter in your printer is 2014.116
> This printout requires at least version 2015 or greater.

Mozilla has two methods for printing on unix. The basic printing module
generates postscript which can be piped to another program such as lpr or
kprint. This is what you're using right now. When mozilla (or firefox or
thunderbird) is built with freetype support for printing, this module
uses a postscript feature that's only available at implementation level
2015 and up, mozilla adds code to the print job to print the error
message if the printer is missing the feature.

For best results, you should look into installing the xprint package on
your system, as I think someone else suggested. Once this is installed,
mozilla should be able to use its xprint support, which generally
provides better results.
--
Ken Herron