[vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Bruce Wolk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 18:00:24 -0700

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/25/04 09:20:
> Bruce Wolk wrote:
>

>> Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/24/04 09:17:
>>

>>> Hmm... looking up your printer on linuxprinting.org
>>> (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1300),
>>> I see this note:
>>>
>>> "User Notes
>>> Printer works as designed.
>>> The foomatic ppd file does not work, use the NT ppd file in CUPS.
>>> It can be found on the cd that comes with the printer.
>>> The file is called "hp1300nt.ppd" and there should be multiple ones for
>>> each translation. Works perfectly, just copy it to
>>> /usr/share/cups/model/
>>> to use it with CUPS."
>>>
>> I added the hp1300nt.ppd file.  Trying to install a printer with cups
>> gave me no new options.  In fact cups lists only a few hp drivers.  So
>> I am wondering whether something is wrong there. But I was able to add
>> a printer with the new driver using kde printing manager and activate
>> it through cups.  Kate prints even nicer now--no dithering on the
>> greyscale--but Kword prints poorly still and, even more surprisingly,
>> firefox won't print at all!  The printer light also flashes
>> continuously after a job.  So I am back to square one.
>>
>> Would an unmerge of cups and foomatic followed by an emerge be worth a
>> try, or is that dangerous?
>>
>> Bruce
>

> Many more print drivers will show up in the cups web interface if you
> enable the ppds USE variable and re-emerge foomatic (and maybe cups too):
>
> # USE="ppds" emerge foomatic cups
> # /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
>
> I don't know why this is not on by default; the generated drivers only
> take up 6.6 MB of space.  ppd files for all foomatic printers will be
> generated and put in /usr/share/ppd.  You should put your special NT ppd
> file in /usr/share/ppd/HP, if you have not already.  Hopefully it too
> will show up in the cups web interface, but I don't know for sure.
>
> You might also try the hpijs driver.  This needs to be emerged separately:
>
> # USE="ppds" emerge hpijs
> # /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
>
> The hpijs driver is a linux driver directly from HP, so you might have
> some luck with it.  I use it with my HP Laserjet 4.
>
> I can't test printing from kword since I don't have it installed.  Also,
> I use standard Mozilla 1.6, not firefox.  In the print menu, I click on
> properties and type "kprinter" for the print command.  I just discovered
> the "xprint" USE variable for mozilla/firefox.  I haven't recompiled
> mozilla with it on, but supposedly it provides a better printing interface.
>
> Hope this gets you further!
>
> Jonathan
>
> P.S.
> You might want to check out the package "ufed" for managing USE
> variables and "porthole" (currently in testing) for a portage gui.

I haven't emerged foomatic again yet, but I did change the print command
in firefox to "kdeprinter" and tried the hp1300nt.ppd driver again.
This time I actually got a chance to select the printer and it actually
sent the job to the printer instead of nowhere, but it printed a page
with an error message and instructions on using ghostscript.  I have
never seen anything like this!  It starts out as follows:

The Postscript interpreter in your printer is 2014.116
This printout requires at least version 2015 or greater.

It then suggests I change the print command to a complicated gs command
that I won't reproduce here.  Now this printer is only one year old and
never had any problems printing from any program in Redhat 9, so I have
some doubt that I really need ghostscript.