[vox] Installfest?

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Wed Oct 12 14:50:59 PDT 2016

On 10/06/2016 09:02 PM, Timothy D Thatcher wrote:
>> They heard that Linux runs on old hardware and they have nothing to
> lose bringing
> their old junky hardware with the hopes we might be able to spin up
> something interesting.
>
> Errr, I always thought that was kind of the point of an installfest?

	I have stayed out of this conversation for a while. Now it is
	coming to an end I will post.

	The reason for an installfest was to HELP people install Linux
	on their hardware ... whatever hardware it may be.

	There has was a time a couple of years ago when the new secure
	boot 'feature' was added to motherboards where I attempted to
	put on the newest version of Ubuntu. Let me repeat, NEW
	motherboard, NEW version of Ubuntu which 'supported' the new
	secure boot feature.

	Well it failed. If it was not for help from Hugh Daniel (RIP),
	the install would never have happened. Also in the past Rick
	Moen (hi Rick), also helped me.

	Yes some people need help with old machines, but others need
	advance help for advance issues. These issues can and should
	be addressed with an installfest.

	It seems a shame some of us might feel we don't have time to
	help others EVEN if it means help them with OLD machines. I
	find this very sad. Due to the help I have received in the past,
	AND my love for Linux, I feel it is my duty to help others and
	convert them to Linux and get them away from Win or Mac. At
	the same time, I'm honest with those I help and let them know
	they are losing out when using too old of hardware. Also the
	current version of Ubuntu has become GUI fat where it has
	become almost impossible to run on any hardware older then
	15 years old. I really hate putting Ubuntu on anything older
	then 10 year old hardware (less then 2 Ghz CPU and less then
	4 Gig RAM).

	I for one say we keep the installfest as originally conceived
	of helping people install Linux on their systems. At the same
	time convince people to upgrade their hardware to closer to
	current hardware.

	Beside helping people install Linux, installfests are to
	introduce people to the Linux community and fellowship them
	into becoming part of the community. Fellow-shipping can
	only happen when you have a group of people. An installfest
	allows people to meet together which then can introduce them
	to the idea of joining a LUG group. Thus bring in new blood
	into the LUG.

	I me state on the record I'm willing to help with an installfest
	if I can find a ride.

							Tony