[vox] How to fix Google Chrome browser apt sources.list entry

Mark's tech help markindavis at hush.com
Wed Mar 23 17:32:12 PDT 2016

Wow, Rick-- once again you've corrected me rightly, and added some very much updated, germane info!  I'd been meaning to get back to my emails & thank you for the last time you did same-- I'm falling behind!
Just saw another mention of Opera people in a Linux mag:  the Feb "Linux Format" issue (I get them late!) has a review of Vivaldi 1.0 Beta, a project of Opera co-founder & ex-CEO Jon von Tetzchner (is that like Germany-- means he's of royal descent?)..
"targets fans of the classic Opera browser who miss its power features" ..  then down in the meat of the page:  "uses Chromium's Blink engine, so it's swift .. & supports most Chrome extensions too."
I'll have to have a look-see!  Might be the next cool thing.

On 3/21/2016 at 6:49 PM, "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

>Quoting Mark's tech help (markindavis at hush.com):
>
>> Just my $.02..  it would behoove all of us to complain to
>whomever
>> runs sites still using Adobe!
>
>If you do, beware of an extremely common pitfall:  Feedback
>mechanisms
>on corporate Web pages most commonly send your feedback, if
>anywhere,
>solely in the hands of the Web development staff, i.e., the
>technicians
>and managers who specified Flash and whose jobs are dependent on
>it.
>
>> Speaking of various browsers used..  I saw in a Linux magazine
>that Opera had bit the dust (was news to me.. but I used to keep
>it installed because I had it save a password which I subsequently
>forgot, and couldn't find a way to crack it's cheezy encryption!
>
>According to this article three days ago, quoting Opera Software
>ASA CTO
>HÃ¥kon Wium Lie, that is _not_ the case:
>http://www.zdnet.com/article/operas-cto-why-the-world-needs-a-new-
>web-browser/
>
>Which reminds me of the time, about ten years ago, that I found
>myself
>having a rather jovial e-mail conversation with the staff of that
>Oslo-based company.  I think they expected to hear hostility from
>me as
>a Linux / open source person because they're a proprietary software
>company (which is a bit sad, I think).  They were quite won over
>when I
>pronounced them 'my second favourite bunch of crazy Norwegians.'
>(They
>could doubtless guess from my surname to whom I was awarding first
>place.)
>
>> but perusing  otter-browser.org  further... oh NO, they use
>> SourceForge!?  Did they not hear of the sellout? Eek.
>
>I'm guessing you're referring to the purchaser that decreed
>inclusion of
>skeevy contents in SourceForge.net-downloadable installers.
>Happily,
>the site has recently been sold again, and the new operator
>reversed
>that policy immediately.  Or so I recently read.
>
>http://www.pcworld.com/article/3032490/internet/new-sourceforge-
>owners-kill-contentious-devshare-bloatware-program.html

Shell programming is a 1950's jukebox - great if it has your song already.  --Larry Wall