[vox] How to fix Google Chrome browser apt sources.list entry

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 21 03:49:25 PDT 2016

Quoting Mark's tech help (markindavis at hush.com):

> Just my $.02..  it would behoove all of us to complain to whomever
> runs sites still using Adobe!

If you do, beware of an extremely common pitfall:  Feedback mechanisms
on corporate Web pages most commonly send your feedback, if anywhere,
solely in the hands of the Web development staff, i.e., the technicians
and managers who specified Flash and whose jobs are dependent on it.

> Speaking of various browsers used..  I saw in a Linux magazine that Opera had bit the dust (was news to me.. but I used to keep it installed because I had it save a password which I subsequently forgot, and couldn't find a way to crack it's cheezy encryption!

According to this article three days ago, quoting Opera Software ASA CTO
HÃ¥kon Wium Lie, that is _not_ the case:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/operas-cto-why-the-world-needs-a-new-web-browser/

Which reminds me of the time, about ten years ago, that I found myself
having a rather jovial e-mail conversation with the staff of that
Oslo-based company.  I think they expected to hear hostility from me as
a Linux / open source person because they're a proprietary software
company (which is a bit sad, I think).  They were quite won over when I
pronounced them 'my second favourite bunch of crazy Norwegians.'  (They
could doubtless guess from my surname to whom I was awarding first place.)

> but perusing  otter-browser.org  further... oh NO, they use
> SourceForge!?  Did they not hear of the sellout? Eek.

I'm guessing you're referring to the purchaser that decreed inclusion of
skeevy contents in SourceForge.net-downloadable installers.  Happily,
the site has recently been sold again, and the new operator reversed
that policy immediately.  Or so I recently read.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3032490/internet/new-sourceforge-owners-kill-contentious-devshare-bloatware-program.html