[vox] "Closing a door"

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Oct 6 15:49:26 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 03:33:52PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> I'm not at all familiar with Linux kernel development community,
> and I don't know that I had heard of this person before, but
> I wanted to pass along this blog post I saw whiz by twitter:

Her next post is a great point-by-point description of what
makes a good community.  And I think this works well beyond
just open source projects, or even computer clubs & other orgs
like ours, but also work enviornments.

  "What makes a good community?"
  http://sarah.thesharps.us/2015/10/06/what-makes-a-good-community/

Here are the top-level items:

  Level 0: basic human decency
  Level 1: on-boarding [newcomers]
  Level 2: meaningful contributions [for newcomers to work on]
  Level 3: succession planning
  Level 4: empathy and awareness
  Level 5: diversity

Learning more, it sounds like she called upon Linus and other
LKML members to stop with the verbal abuse and threats of
physical violence, back in 2013. :-/  Sigh.