[vox] Looking for a new laptop

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:44:45 PST 2014

Hi.

I went on the System 76 side and I found it very cheap compared to
equivalent power that you get from, for example, Apple.

That said you can probably can get a good deal from any of the
mainstream manifacturers, the problem is that even if you wipe windows
and put your GNU/Linux of choice, some hardware might not work. usually
embedded camera/microphone and sometimes some touchpads have problems.
Some configuration hacks can get them back to work in some cases. If you
choose this way google is your friend. see if other have reported
GNU/Linux to work correctly on those machines.

I use my laptop for work, 70% of my ability will be off with a not
functional laptop, so i went on the system76 side and i love the
hardware i got and the fact that everything just works. Also, new
versions are supported right away. You can install any version and
install System76 ppa to get the up to date drivers for your distro.

Best,