[vox] Looking for a new laptop

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Mon Dec 1 12:24:58 PST 2014

On 12/01/2014 12:14 PM, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the market for a new laptop that will run Linux. System76 sells
> them, but they're on the pricey side (though I imagine I could replace
> Unity on their systems with Kubuntu, which is what I prefer).
>
> I'd also be willing to buy a solid laptop from one of the bigger
> manufacturers, so long as I know that it would be possible to wipe
> Windows 7 or 8 off the hard drive and install Kubuntu. Anyone have
> experience with this?
>
> It doesn't have to be a state-of-the-art machine, since I don't do
> gaming, graphics, or anything like that; mostly I do web browsing,
> word processing and some web development.

Generally I'll just pick whatever seems the best deal in the current
market, do some web searches to check on Linux compatibility, and then
(if all looks good) buy it and deal with whatever issues come up.  I've
had good luck with Asus in this regard.  Models change continually.

Wiping Windows is pretty trivial, but I'll find a use for it every once
in a blue moon so have done dual boot installs.

Rod