[vox] Fwd: ACCU: Wednesday, January 9 - Jon Kalb, "Exception-Safe Coding"

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jan 7 09:12:03 PST 2013

Fyi

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ali Cehreli <acehreli at gmail.com>
Sent: Sun Jan 06 20:48:24 PST 2013
To: Ali Cehreli <acehreli at yahoo.com>
Subject: ACCU: Wednesday, January 9 - Jon Kalb, "Exception-Safe Coding"

This month's annoucement is unusually lengthy: There are five exciting items! :)

1) We are on Meetup

2) We are on Google+

3) We will start meeting twice a month

4) This month's talk is on C++ exception safety

5) A couple of follow-up comments by our members

Here they are:

1) We are now on meetup.com:

  http://www.meetup.com/SFBay-Association-of-C-C-Users/

Here is this month's event that has been posted there:

  http://www.meetup.com/SFBay-Association-of-C-C-Users/events/96780602/

You may want to join and RSVP so that you will have a printed name tag
at the meeting.

2) We are now on Google+:

  https://plus.google.com/communities/115772083508596319967

3) We will have an additional monthly meeting which will have a
different format from the usual talk:

"We're piloting a new meeting starting this month for those of you
that just can't get enough ACCU. On January 23, and thereafter on the
4th Wednesday of the month, ACCU will be conducting a meeting based on
the previous presentation -- or another technical topic that attendees
want to discuss. This month Jon Kalb will be on hand to answer
questions and discuss issues with Exception Safety in C++. The
meetings will be informal; so bring your questions, your code, your
experience, and your brain."

Here is the information about that meeting:

  http://www.meetup.com/SFBay-Association-of-C-C-Users/events/97218832/

4) January 2013 talk:

When:      Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Topic:     Exception-Safe Coding
Speaker:   Jon Kalb
Time:      6:30pm doors open
           7:00pm meeting begins
Where:     Symantec
           VCAFE building
           350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
           Mountain View, CA 94043
Map:       <http://tinyurl.com/334rv5>
Directions: VCAFE is accessible from the semicircular courtyard
between Symantec buildings <http://tinyurl.com/2dccgc>
Cost:      Free

Are you 100% confident that your code is exception-safe?

Safe usage of exceptions is a non-trivial problem that the industry has
struggled with for the better part of two decades. If you have fear,
uncertainty, or doubt about exception safety or just want to see the best
practices for using exceptions in C++, this session is for you. We'll start
with "What is the problem we are trying to solve?" and discuss alternatives,
acknowledge the challenges associated with exception usage, and cover
some well-meaning but misguided attempts at safety. I will then present a
set of guidelines that are the basis for safe exception usage and solid
implementation techniques, including how to transition from an
exception-unsafe legacy code base.

When we are finished you will know how to produce code that is easier to
write, easier to understand, faster, and 100% robust in the face of
exceptions.

This talk will cover C++11 and its impact on exception-safe coding.

Jon has been programming in C++ for twenty years. He is currently doing this
for Amazon's A9.com. During the last two decades he has written C++ for Apple,
Dow Chemical, Intuit, Lotus, Microsoft, Netscape, Sun, and Yahoo! He taught
C++ at the graduate school at Golden Gate University for two years and is
co-chair of C++ Now! (BoostCon).

Meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.

---- Upcoming ACCU talks -----

Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Jon Kalb
The second and final session of "Exception-Safe Coding"

Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Sumant Tambe
Standardizing the Data Distribution Service API for Modern C++

---------

The ACCU meets monthly. Meetings are always open to the public and are
free of charge. To suggest topics and speakers please email Ali
Cehreli via acehreli at yahoo.com

5) Two follow-up comments after last month's talk by two of our members.

5a) After Chandler Carruth's "Clang & LLVM: C++ Compilers Still
Matter" talk, Alison Chaiken wanted to make us aware of the following
LLVM site:

  http://llvm.org/devmtg/2012-11/

5b) There has been some discussion on "how to determine what header
files make a difference - which are actually used."

Tim Murphy recommends a tool, which "lets you do a lot of things but
one of the most interesting is finding out which header files
contribute in any meaningful way to a C program. It generates nice
diagrams too."

"Since it's programmable, you can achieve a lot of useful analysis.  I
expect that anyone who, like us, had a huge codebase and needed to
untangle it would find this helpful in generating a plan."

  http://cpip.sourceforge.net/intro.html

Thank you,
Ali