[vox] New laptop

Francisco Athens cyan255 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:42:09 PST 2013

I'm currently stuggling with the new Optimus technology on an i7 with
nVidia card (the laptop has MXM3b interchangeable graphics cards) because I
like the idea of having both intel integrated (used as default) and the
oomph of a dedicated gfx card when needed. Just be aware that most laptops
require Bumblebee ( http://bumblebee-project.org/install.html ) to even use
the nVidia card (Intel is used by default).  I think there are some lenovos
that will let you switch with bios (option to use integrated, dedicated or
optimus) though.  Bumblebee is still maturing and is functional but my
670mx is not feeling any faster than the 540m in my old laptop.  I have
hope that the situation may change, but just be aware of this when
considering a current laptop with dedicated graphics!

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Ryan Northrup <northrupthebandgeek at gmail.com