[vox] New laptop

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sat Jan 5 14:41:43 PST 2013

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:15:35PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>    I haven't bought a new laptop in years and now I'm considering one.
>    Does anyone have a preferred vendor, hopefully one where I can buy a
>    laptop that doesn't have a certain OS pre-installed?

Try your luck with System 76. Seems that a lot of people have
had good luck with them. Comes with Ubuntu.
https://www.system76.com/

The Dell XPS 12 has linux preinstalled
The screen resolution sucks though.
http://content.dell.com/us/en/gen/d/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop

I just ordered a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch. It comes with Windows 7 Pro
preinstalled. The regular Thinkpad X1 Carbons supposedly work well
with GNU/Linux. I am hoping that the Touch will work equally as well.
It's light an powerful. Touch screen will probably be a little gimicky.
It uses the Intel video. It weighs 3.4 pounds. The memory is soldered to
the board as well as the CPU. It has a 1600x900 screen too!
http://www.lenovo.com

brian
--
Brian Lavender