[vox] IDC: Downturn to drive Linux adoption

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Mar 18 15:08:23 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:44:00PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > Moral of the story.
> >
> > Buy boxes, create labels, buy shrinkwrap.  Register TuxPaint trademark
> > Package TuxPaint for sale.
> >
> > Make money!!!!
>
> We open source people are still in the minority, so I think you've
> got something there. ;)

You can still box and shrinkwrap open source and sell it... not everyone
cares about the source code, and "you get what you pay for" means "free is
junk" to a lot of people.

I got some free Google AdWords advertising.  I'm running two text ads
> for tuxpaint.org right now.  One says:  "Free Kids Art Software",
> the other says "Get Tux Paint for Free".
>
> I went with the former first, because I figured mentioning "Tux Paint"
> didn't make sense if I'm out there trying to inform people about a
> product they've never heard of.
>
> However, the one that says "Get... for free" is getting clicked at least 2x
> as often.  Maybe I'm more famous than I thought.
>
> And if I am, then why don't people know that Tux Paint is free _to begin
> with?_  I think it's because they assume: "it's computer software,
> it must cost something."

 That is interesting... I wonder if you use "KidPix" in an ad, like "free
alternative to KidPix" how it would do?