[vox] IDC: Downturn to drive Linux adoption

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 18 14:58:47 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:44:00PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Moral of the story.
>
> Buy boxes, create labels, buy shrinkwrap.  Register TuxPaint trademark
> Package TuxPaint for sale.
>
> Make money!!!!

We open source people are still in the minority, so I think you've
got something there. ;)

I got some free Google AdWords advertising.  I'm running two text ads
for tuxpaint.org right now.  One says:  "Free Kids Art Software",
the other says "Get Tux Paint for Free".

I went with the former first, because I figured mentioning "Tux Paint"
didn't make sense if I'm out there trying to inform people about a
product they've never heard of.

However, the one that says "Get... for free" is getting clicked at least 2x
as often.  Maybe I'm more famous than I thought.

And if I am, then why don't people know that Tux Paint is free _to begin
with?_  I think it's because they assume: "it's computer software,
it must cost something."