[vox] IDC: Downturn to drive Linux adoption

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 18 15:12:28 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 03:08:23PM -0700, Bill Ward wrote:

>    You can still box and shrinkwrap open source and sell it... not everyone
>    cares about the source code, and "you get what you pay for" means "free is
>    junk" to a lot of people.

Actually have sold Tux Paint, on CDROM, via CafePress.  I made $2/sale.
The problem is, chucking together an ISO and mailing a disc off to them
takes a lot of time.  By the time I get around to doing that, a new
version of Tux Paint is out.  The CDROM they have now is seriously
out of date... people still discover it via CafePress directly, I guess.

Sad. :(

<snip>
>     That is interesting... I wonder if you use "KidPix" in an ad, like "free
>    alternative to KidPix" how it would do?

It wouldn't fly, because of Google's rules.  I actually had one of the
ads disabled until I removed "Mac OS X" in the description.  In other
words, I could not say: "Works on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X".

(Presumably "Windows" didn't get flagged, because it's also a generic term.)

So it now says something inaccurate and kind of stupid:
"Works on all computer types".  I'm not sure Mac OS X or Linux users will
look at that and say "HEY! That includes me!"  Plus it's also inaccurate...
Tux Paint doesn'r un on older Mac OS 9 systems.  Etc. etc.