[vox] Caps-lock binding (was: vim no-brainer

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:32:57 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:43:35 -0800 (PST)
"Mark K. Kim" <lugod at cbreak.org> wrote:

> Who else here don't use caps-lock?  Do you use all 10 fingers (or 9,
> if you use only one thumb for the spacebar) for typing?  Do you ever
> use the extended keys (home, page up, end, delete, etc?)
>
> I find that really strange.  I use all 103+ keys on the keyboard,
> especially when using a word processor.  I'm angry at Microsoft for
> not making use of the scroll-lock key (it has an interesting and
> useful function under WordPerfect for DOS 5.1.)  I get very annoyed
> that Open Office don't implement all the key combinations (and
> shift-mouse key combinations.)
>
> Anybody still use ctrl-insert for copy, shift-insert for paste,
> shift-delete for cut, home for moving to the front of the line, end
> for moving to the end of the line,

> page up to move up a page, page
> down to move down a page,

Yup.

> ctrl-page_up to jump to the first page,
> ctrl-page_down to jump to the last page,

> ctrl-right_arrow to jump to
> the beginning of the next word, ctrl-left_arrow to jump to the ending
> of the previous word,

Didn't know about these. I usually use either the vi or emacs bindings
for these depending on the context.

> num-lock to type numbers really fast on the
> number pad or do calculator-style calculations or type in phone
> numbers like a telephone except upside-down,

I use numlock all the time - I turn it on in my login scripts and always
use the keypad to enter numbers.

 caps-lock to type
> all-caps words like UNIX, shift-F12 to save under Microsoft Word, set
> keyboard speed to the fastest possible setting because you get annoyed
> by the slow default key-repeat rate, etc?  'cuz I do.
>
> When I switch between Vim and Word I get very confused!

I use vim as my editor (usually - I wish I could embed gvim into more
things), but emacs bindings at my shell (becasue the shell gives no
visual feedback about which mode I'm in if I were to use vim mode).