[vox] Caps-lock binding (was: vim no-brainer

Bryan Richter btrichter at ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:46:36 PST 2005

Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Who else here don't use caps-lock?  Do you use all 10 fingers (or 9, if
> you use only one thumb for the spacebar) for typing?  Do you ever use the
> extended keys (home, page up, end, delete, etc?)

I used to use them all the time, since I started on Windows. Now, I use
control-key combinations as often as possible. I still use arrows and page keys
occasionally.

> Anybody still use ctrl-insert for copy, shift-insert for paste,
> shift-delete for cut,

I still do all my cutting and pasting with the mouse. I just learned about
shift-insert a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to use it, too.

> home for moving to the front of the line, end for
> moving to the end of the line,

C-a, C-e, 0, and $ covers almost everything I use in Linux.

> page up to move up a page, page down to
> move down a page, ctrl-page_up to jump to the first page, ctrl-page_down
> to jump to the last page,

Ditto C-v, M-v, ^F, ^B, M-<, M->, G, gg.

> ctrl-right_arrow to jump to the beginning of the
> next word, ctrl-left_arrow to jump to the ending of the previous word,

M-f, M-b, w, b.

> num-lock to type numbers really fast on the number pad or do
> calculator-style calculations or type in phone numbers like a telephone
> except upside-down,

Yeah. I never could touch-type the number keys. :)

> caps-lock to type all-caps words like UNIX,

Nope.

> shift-F12
> to save under Microsoft Word, set keyboard speed to the fastest
> possible setting because you get annoyed by the slow default
> key-repeat rate, etc?

Yep.

>'cuz I do.
>
> When I switch between Vim and Word I get very confused!

When I use Word I get angry! Hehe, I can't stand it, and not because it's
Microsoft.

I'm in a fortunate situation where I'm not required to use Windows for anything
right now. When I use it nowadays, I'm a full-time mouser since I've forgotten
all the shortcuts.

In other news, it seems I can't use control-apostrophe as an insert-mode binding.
:-P So, I'm using control-n, which overrides a command I use occasionally, but
not TOO occasionally. N seems to be a good choice because it's still on the
(Dvorak) home row and it's a nice mnemonic for 'Normal mode'.

-Bryan

--
Bryan Richter
UCDTT President