[vox] Help disassembling a laptop?

Marianne Waage yamara at plush.org
Mon Jul 18 08:22:34 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:34:50AM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I've got an old Sony Vaio laptop which has a problem with overheating.
> [...]
> So, I'd like to take this thing apart and see if I can't clean out the guck
> which I presume is clogging up the cooling fan [...] I've removed all of the
> components -- the battery, the CD/DVD player, the hard drive, etc. -- and
> taken out all of the visible screws, but I still can't get into it.  I assume
> I need some sort of special tool, or there is some special secret maneuver
> that I need.
>
> I've Googled until my eyes started to bleed, but I was unable to find any
> instructions on-line for opening this laptop (it's a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV670P).
> Anyone got any ideas or hints?  I'm comfortable opening my desktop and
> messing around with its innards, but I've never worked inside a laptop
> computer.

That model looks vaguely similar to the PCG-V505RX we have at work,
but has enough differences that I'm not sure I can provide much insight.
The V505 has 12 screws on the bottom pointed to with little arrows. Five
of them have arrows with little dots, which indicate they are holding
the keyboard down.

There are also two screws that are hidden by plastic casings around each
LCD support. (These house the speakers in the V505) They required using
a small screwdriver to pry off two casings to get access. You may need
to pry off similar plasticy bits to find more screws.

On the V505, it is as Karsten suggests, the keyboard becomes a bit loose
and you can lift it towards the LCD, then there's a little ribbon cable
to disconnect. I had a lot of difficulty separating the top casing from
the bottom once the keyboard was out, and I had to again use prying
until it became unstuck. Watch out for other ribbon connectors (the
V505 has a mouse connection).

I used this site to find various instructions. You might try looking
at other GR* series for insight:
	http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_sony.html

HTH,
-yamara