[vox] [OT] Budget Surplus - How Do I Spend It?

joseph estevao arruda vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 19:14:08 -0700

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:56, Marc Elliot Hall wrote:

> We aren't using M/UMPS, although we do use HL7 protocols for some of our
> tools. How's Dr. Walters with that?

Don't know.  I know he was (is?) a maintainer for the M language itself.

> > Sun Services (which I used to work for back in the late 90s) -
> > www.sun.com  Other vendors like HP, Oracle, and IBM offer training as
> > well, and I am sure in areas of interest.
>
> IBM is on our short list, although training in areas applicable to our
> organization doesn't start until July :^(

This surprises me, as even if you ae required to use the funds prior to
a certain date, you can theoretically use them for training/services
that occur after said date (but the transaction muct be completed by the
date).  Why the focus on cutting everything at the 6/30 date (in terms
of accounting rules)?

> I hadn't considered Stanford, although I've got Mozilla tabs at
> extension.ucd.edu and csus.edu right now. Thanks for the tip!

No problem.  You might even look into the online/CBT courses offered via
numerous outlets, as that might be something you can distribute to all
locations digitally (depending on licensing isues of course), but can be
acquired quickly.