[vox] [OT] Four MORE IE exploits

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 13 12:37:30 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:25:25PM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> Ken Bloom wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:36:00AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> >>I have a feeling the disc at STC will be popular, simply because it's
> >>got Firefox and Mozilla on it. ;^)
> >>
> >> http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/
> >>
> >>   "Paul has reported some vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, allowing
> >>   malicious people to bypass security restrictions and potentially
> >>   compromise a vulnerable system. ..."
> >

> >I'm going home this weekend to ensure that my parents replace Internet
> >Explorer with Mozilla.
> >
> >I'm a Galeon person myself on Linux (and I generally use Konqueror
> >when I have some reason to use some other browser). What are the
> >relative advantages/disadvantages of Firefox vs. Mozilla?
> >

> Mozilla is a browser, email/news client, irc client, and html editor
> rolled into one program.  Altogether, it is very much like Netscape in
> look and feel.  Firefox is a browser only.  There is also Thunderbird,
> which is just an email client.  I've been using Mozilla for browsing and
> email since I started with Linux ~2 years ago, but I think I will be
> switching to Firefox/Thunderbird.  They seem to load faster (less extras
> loaded into memory), and they are a little prettier.  The
> options/preferences menus are a little more intuitive in Firefox also.
> Probably the best option for someone making the switch from IE.

At least in Debian (and I assume in Windows and in other Linux
distributions), Mozilla can be installed without all of the extras
like mail, news, irc. Is Firefox then still faster?

And what about browser features. Do they generally work the same, or
does Firefox have additional features that Mozilla doesn't have.

For example, I like Galeon because it's more flexible with tabs, and
because it lets me put input boxes on my bookmarks toolbars, so I have
a toolbar with input boxes for Google, I'm Feeling Lucky, Mapquest,
Freshmeat, and Debian Bugs, among others. Does Firefox have features
along these lines that beat Mozilla? (Or vice-versa?)