[vox] [OT] Four MORE IE exploits

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 13 12:25:25 PDT 2004

Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:36:00AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
>>I have a feeling the disc at STC will be popular, simply because it's
>>got Firefox and Mozilla on it. ;^)
>>
>>  http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/
>>
>>    "Paul has reported some vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, allowing
>>    malicious people to bypass security restrictions and potentially
>>    compromise a vulnerable system. ..."
>

> I'm going home this weekend to ensure that my parents replace Internet
> Explorer with Mozilla.
>
> I'm a Galeon person myself on Linux (and I generally use Konqueror
> when I have some reason to use some other browser). What are the
> relative advantages/disadvantages of Firefox vs. Mozilla?

Mozilla is a browser, email/news client, irc client, and html editor
rolled into one program.  Altogether, it is very much like Netscape in
look and feel.  Firefox is a browser only.  There is also Thunderbird,
which is just an email client.  I've been using Mozilla for browsing and
email since I started with Linux ~2 years ago, but I think I will be
switching to Firefox/Thunderbird.  They seem to load faster (less extras
loaded into memory), and they are a little prettier.  The
options/preferences menus are a little more intuitive in Firefox also.
Probably the best option for someone making the switch from IE.

Jonathan