[vox] installfest July 17?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 9 10:09:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:58:43AM -0700, ashleigh smythe wrote:
> Given both of these issues would I be better off
> scrounging around for a cheap, older but not as old as this (1997!), pc
> to make as my home linux box?

No sense in ditching the entire system just because it has a WinModem. ;^)
You might be able to find a non-WinModem for cheap.

Unfortunately, when putting my dad's PC together (it had no modem to
begin with), I decided to get an external modem.  Somehow, they've skyrocketed
back up to $50!  Internal ones are probably cheaper.

>  I don't need it to be a server or
> anything, I mostly just need web access and word processing
> capabilities.

Approx. 2GB of disc space should be _plenty_ for this.

>  I have access to clusters on campus for more intensive
> number crunching, but I would need internet access for sure.  Or should
> I buy an external modem and keep the old pc?

If the WinModem is removable, you can always remove it.  If it's built onto
the motherboard, you can probably disable it.  Worst case scenario, you can
leave it enabled, and just not use it. :^)  IBM blessed us with more than one
COM port.  (Not enough, in my opinion, but I guess USB is finally answering
THAT problem.)

> Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck!

-bill!
PS - Froogle shows internal modems for as low as $1.00 somehow.
     http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=internal+modem&scoring=p

     Externals for around $6.00 at the low end.
     http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=external+modem&scoring=p