[vox] installfest July 17?

Ken Bloom kabloom at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 9 11:01:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:09:05AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 07:58:43AM -0700, ashleigh smythe wrote:
> > Given both of these issues would I be better off scrounging around
> > for a cheap, older but not as old as this (1997!), pc to make as
> > my home linux box?
>
> No sense in ditching the entire system just because it has a
> WinModem. ;^) You might be able to find a non-WinModem for cheap.

My controllerful internal PCI modem (Lucent Venus chipset) cost me $75
when I bought it. I think that was a couple years ago. I walked around
Fry's, pulling every modem box off the shelf, and entering the model
number into the search box on my palmpilot to search the linmodem
database I had copied onto it until I found one. It took forever.

> Unfortunately, when putting my dad's PC together (it had no modem to
> begin with), I decided to get an external modem.  Somehow, they've
> skyrocketed back up to $50!  Internal ones are probably cheaper.

Like I said, I bought mine two years ago. I don't know what they're
going for now.

> >  I don't need it to be a server or
> > anything, I mostly just need web access and word processing
> > capabilities.
>
> Approx. 2GB of disc space should be _plenty_ for this.

Been there, done that. It's probably got a slow processor too.
On a slow, 64mb box with 1 or 2 gigs of HD, I installed Debian with
AbiWord, Galeon, Dillo, Sodipodi, and Gnumeric, (and CUPS for
printing). It was a bit slow, but it all fit on the HD.