[vox] Support for "safe" and "reliable" writing to NTFS from Linux?

ME vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:01:15 -0800 (PST)

Many of you know that eh NFTS driver in the kernel does fine for reading,
but is "dangerous" for writing.

Is there an alterantive for writing to NTFS from Linux?

Background...

While "building" my new video capture system (using WinTV PVR-350 PCI
card(s) and a new computer with large disk) I am looking at what
filesystems would be a good filesystem for a dual boot system (until I
buy, download, or build good DVD authoring software with quality subtitle
encoding from various subtitle formats) and as a result will suffer the
use of the crutch known as MS Windows XP until a good OpenSource
alternative is available.

Anyway, during my googling, I found this:
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

It appears to be a "wine-like" solution to making a Linux-capable (not
based) solutions to making NTFS write support from Linux possible.

This means, they rely upon code/files from MS to make this work.

Like anything, there are benfits and disadvantages to somethig like this:
Benefit: Linux users can keep and use NTFS and access from Linux making
Linux more compatable.
Disadvantage: it encourages people to retain their copy/install of windows
instead of making a full transition away from full OpenSource.

Whatever the outcome, I figured that some people on this list might mid
this very useful. I will be reading more about it over the next few weeks.
Loks like it was announced last year in October. :-)

Why did I not see this. Maybe I missed it on /.

Enjoy!

-ME