[vox] Widgets and window managers (was on vox-tech: IDE cdrw/dvdrw

Mark K. Kim vox@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:03:01 -0800 (PST)

Let the morning rambling begin...

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> however, i have a confession to make.  i liked GNOME (although i would
> never use GNOME) because IMHO, gtk is MUCH prettier than qt.  actually,
> i *used* to like gtk.  the gtk 2.0 widget set is the ugliest thing i've
> ever seen.  i installed the development version of gimp on one of my
> systems.  within minutes, i kicked that thing off my system and went
> back to gimp 1.2.  they call that progress?  ick.

Haha... I like the new gimp =)  I can't tell the difference between the
new GTK and the old GTK; seems like the new Gimp just uses new icons for
its buttons, though, and I like the new buttons (more colorful =)

> joe arruda had a profound effect on my life: i will be using nothing but
> enlightenment till the day i die.  i don't know if he's reading vox
> traffic anymore, but if he is... "joe, thank you for 'enlightening' me".

No comment on the messiness of E code or its bloatedness... -_-'

> on the subjects of widget sets, i have a deep dark secret that i've
> never told anybody but my wife, but now i'm going to let it all hang
> out.  i really love microsoft's widget set.   it's beautiful, feature
> rich and intuitive.  i wish someone would clone it.

Wow... I think the MS widget set is ugly (I think it overuses 3D effects
and has not enough colors).  I like the Mac's widget sets (all of 'em --
classic, Platinum, OS X)...  and how they "move" when you interact with
them.  So elegant! so pretty! =)

[snip]
> it's really too bad that a) the windows kernels suck so badly, b)
> windows developers are so stupid that they can't break out of the
> "everything must be a GUI paradigm and c) the design of the OS is so
> flawed.
[snip]

Grab it for Linux!

There was a project that set out to mimic Windows.  Forgot what it's
called.  They wanted to mimic everything, including the control panel.
Don't know the project URL, though =(  I think I found the project
originally via Slashdot.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim