[vox] directories - too much of a good thing?

Peter Jay Salzman vox@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:51:52 -0800

begin Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 02:06:22PM -0800, Katie wrote:
> > I guess I'd just like to hear from other people as to
> > how they set up their file systems, what works best, what doesn't, the
> > more directories the better, keep them few and general.  Or is there some
> > nifty little trick that I've totally missed?
>
> I've become SO totally cluttered, it's a shame. :^(
> My e-mail boxes are kind of arbitrary, my directories are full of
> "foo", "tmp" and "x" subdirectories.
>
> But, I somehow live with it. :^)  I plan to eventually clean it all up.
> But hey, I plan to organize my office some day, too.  (Yeah, right!)
>

> One thing that comes in mighty handy is the command-line tool 'locate' :^)
>
> -bill!

my home directory:

academia: all stuff related to school, both as student and teacher
cvs: stuff i build from cvs like quakeforge, scummvm, etc.
doc: private notes and documentation
etc: everything else
lugod: all stuff related to running lugod
Mail: mail
multimedia: images, pictures, movies, shockwave stuff
myprog: my personal programming projects
rec: hobbies like guitar, D&D, gardening notes
TransGaming_Drive: winex stuff
writing: writing projects

pete