[vox] WorkSpot Linux Desktop via the Web

Edward Elliott vox@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:06:34 -0800

Another fascinating LINUX desktop offering. I'm wondering if the more
experienced members of our group have taken a look at this service
and I'm interested in hearing your comments.

 http://www.workspot.com/

description from the web site
 -------------------------
private, instant Linux desktop
... through a browser.
Use it from anywhere.

The magic is a Java applet, an AES secure, graphical connection to a
Linux desktop. It works through every Java-enabled browser, and through
most corporate firewalls.

Workspot gives you a Linux desktop outside your network, from which you
can browse, ftp, or ssh. It lets you form a kind of instant VPN. It lets
you share a desktop and applications, real-time, with someone on the
other side of the globe, or with many people simultaneously. It lets you
cut and paste across platforms. It's an invaluable tool. You'll find
countless uses.

Only $9.95/month.

Users of the GNU/Linux desktop service:

Ownership and stewardship of this service has transferred to a small,
publicly-minded non-profit corporation, which plans to maintain and
improve upon the it, in pursuit of its commitment to the public good,
electronic freedom, liberated software, and personal privacy.

Some especially good news: any software developed for this service
will be released under the GNU Public License (GPL).