[vox] Wow! Latest trends for web server use....

ME vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:49:54 -0800 (PST)

Peter Jay Salzman said:
> On Wed 03 Dec 03,  3:57 PM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>
> said:
>> ME said:
>> > CHeck out the latest stats on web servers...
>> > http://news.netcraft.com/
>> > Looks like apache is now winning out at over 3 to 1 over MS IIS!
>> > [chop]
>> > In fact, according to the statistics, apache accounts for over 2 times
>> > as many web server as all other web servers combined!
>>
>> And I thought Windows servers were supposed to be the end-all and be-all
>> of servers!  I would be really interesting to see how the numbers
>> changed after the release of Windows 2003 Server.
>
> why would you be interesed?
>
> do you think apache will get any more expensive/less reliable?
>
> do you think windows will get any cheaper/more reliable?
>

> seems like every "we care about and will focus on security" announcement
> MS makes is followed by a new devasting worm.
>
> i have no interest in the numbers, because i already know what they're
> going to say!  :)

I can't speak for the other poster, but my interest in the numbers has to
do with dealing with MBA and Administrators in their native habitat, using
a language that is familiar to them. Words like:

Total Cost of Service, empowerment to leverage skills of programmers,
extensibility of a base system to more closely approximate customer
system requirements, Improvements to customer service with decreased
downtime, better security against active attacks, fewer incidence of
automated attacks, lower cost due to network over-utilization from
resulting attack, lower cost to reaction-based forced integrity checking
due to decreased frequency of comprimise... and....

The defacto standard on the internet for business and ecommerce with over
3 times the market share of Microsoft's Web Server and more than twice as
many  active sites than all other web servers combined.

:-D