[vox] .ico file editors?

David Margolis vox@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ken,

with the following syntax:

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="/images/favicon.png">

Mozilla (and therefore Netscape 6+) will allow you to use _any old png_
(32x32 px recommended) placed anywhere on your server.  This allows
different icons for different contexts (not just the one icon in the root
of the server).  I thought this syntax was also supported by IE, but I just
tried it and it didn't work.  Opera 6 doesn't seem to support this feature
at all, and I don't have Opera 7 to test.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about IE or Opera.  Reading this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp
It looks like IE DOES support the syntax, but I guess it needs to be an
actual .ico to work.

Dave Margolis