[vox-tech] Email

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 11 21:56:06 PDT 2015

Quoting Richard Harke (paleopenguin at gmail.com):

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/?page=misc#outlook

> I have used kmail for years but now it is badly broken.

I'm guessing you have a preferance for very featureful graphical mail
clients (MUAs = Mail User Agents).  Here is a page cataloging all known
MUAs for Linux, grouped by category (graphical vs. console, open source
vs. proprietary).  I last updated it two years ago, so of course it
doubtless is no longer 100% complete and correct.

The most useful thing about it, for you, would be the
pointer-highlighted entries indicating which are the most-popular
programs.  I recommend sticking to the first section:  'graphical, open
source'.

'MUAs' on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail

Have a look at Claws Mail as your first candidate.  Sylpheed and
Thunderbird also have many fans.

Your problem report of 'can't seem to make a folder to import my old
email' is what an old boss of mine used to call 'almost useful', i.e.,
it's completely useless as stated for anyone wanting to help you,
because it utterly fails to give any idea of what format your 'old email'
is currently in.  You might, for example, mean that your mail is
trapped in KDE4's 'Akonadi' storage service as invoked by KMail.  But
you didn't clarify that point (yet).

> Should I try evolution....

{shudder}  Of course, as Mr. Lincoln said, it's the sort of thing that
will be enjoyed by those who enjoy that sort of thing.  ;->

(I have a prejudice against huge, slow, overly complex software, but you
may not feel the same way.  Evolution is sort of a poster child for the
qualities I personally do not like in software.  So is KMail.)