[vox-tech] How many people run their own mail server?

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Wed Oct 16 00:08:03 PDT 2013

On 10/15/2013 11:52 PM, Brian E. Lavender wrote:
> I am curious how many people run their own mail server these days?
>
> It seems like most have taken to Gmail.

Brian,

	I think you need to step back a bit and ask a different
	question first.

	How many people are running their own server?

	Then the question, is it a VPS or a real machine? Are you
	using a hosting company for web and mail?

	Those questions need to be asked first. The reason why, is over
	the years I have seen fewer and fewer people with they own
	server machine in house. Now most people (myself included) are
	running a VPS on a hosted system. Only a few of those run their
	own web and mail service, most have chosen to outsource those
	services.

	As for myself, I use Apache and Sendmail/SpamAssisan for
	my web and E-mail. Oh yes and .procmail for any additional
	filtering.

							Tony