[vox-tech] home server

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Sep 9 12:04:46 PDT 2010

Bit of a mishmash of issues here..
 some thoughts to consider:

1)  For a dual-boot system you can probably use the workstation install and add whatever "server" software you need... the primary difference between the "server" and "workstation" installers is in the default set of packages that get loaded.

2) It is simply impractical to load "all packages" on any computer, server or not.	Proceed one step at a time, and learn how each server package needs to be set up to meet your needs by reading the documentation in /usr/share/doc/packagename. The workstation defaults will keep it generally functional while you experiment. Once you are familiar with the software, you will be in a better position to tackle a dedicated server install.

3) Ubuntu can work with either static or DHCP.  Note that telling the system to ask for an address from your router is very different from setting up your system to hand out addresses as a DHCP server (not advisable until you know your networking requirements better).

The installfest is a good idea even if you don't wait until then to try again.

netuser at ainet.com wrote:

>Correct, bad media. Evidently I have OS on disk but that's all. Downloaded
>10.04 again, disk seems good. Everything went fine until I tried to install
>software, should have not tried to install all of it at once. Gave me error
>other thing need to be set up before installing this software. Crashed
>system, reinstalled Vista. Now I have lots of notes on how to install,
>thanks. Still have dual boot problem. Anyone know how? I thought I needed to
>set up dhcp for Ubuntu to work, will set up static IP instead. I noticed
>10.04 downloaded USB support, that may solve problem with keyboard and mouse
>not working. I don't like to send my name in emails, but my name is Bruce.
>Thanks again for all your help.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing