[vox-tech] NIS and MySQL migration

Tim Riley timriley at appahost.com
Tue May 12 14:13:12 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 12:47 -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:

<snip>

> The fourth machine, which I haven't touched yet, runs a MySQL
> database, and is the NIS server for the other three machines. I now
> need to upgrade these machines subject to 3 constraints:
>
> 1. The mysql database must not be lost, and I must be able to move the
> data reasonably quickly. (Downtime is OK since it's not public facing,
> and gets sporadic use, but forcing me to dump/reload would be a royal
> pain because one of the databases contains 15GB of linguistic data.)

Very easy: Copy the three, raw, MySQL database files for each table to
the new computer. The filenames have the following format: $table.frm,
$table.MDY, and $table.MYI, depending upon your version.

On my MySQL installation, they're located in /var/lib/mysql/$database.
Also, you can check /etc/mysql/my.cnf and search for the keyword
"datadir".

<snip>