[vox-tech] Invisible widgets in Java applets?

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:01:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 16:50 -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> So Facebook's default photo uploader is a Java applet.  Ever since
> a recent update (I think it was when Ubuntu 9.04 came out?), the native
> widgets in the applet are invisible.
>
> That is, things like scrollbars, checkboxes, and (the borders to) buttons
> are invisible.  I can click them, if I point at them.  (i.e., if I click
> kind of near the upper left of a photo thumbnail, where I remember the
> checkbox being, I see the word "Upload" (which SHOULD be in a button widget)
> change from grey to black.  Or if I click and drag back and forth in the
> blank space to the right of the thumbnails, I can scroll up and down.)
>
> I'm using Firefox 3.0.11 and "sun-java6-bin" package version "6-13-1".
> (If I'm confused about which package is providing the JVM for applets
> under Firefox, please excuse me.)
>
> A quick Google search for "ubuntu java applet invisible"
> and "ubuntu java widgets invisible" didn't come up with anything useful,
> so far.
>
> Anyone else notice this?  Ideas how to fix?  Thanks!

Please tell us the output of
$ update-alternatives --list firefox-javaplugin.so

If it's not a Sun JDK, you would need to use update-alterantives
--configure (as root) on the appropriate alternative (which I think
would be firefox-javaplugin.so, but I'm not sure because there are also
several others for java plugins), to make the Sun version be the version
your browser uses.

If it's a non Sun JDK, then I suspect the problem would be that you're
missing either classpath-gtkpeer or classpath-qtpeer to provide the
widgets.