[vox-tech] Invisible widgets in Java applets?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jul 9 16:50:06 PDT 2009

So Facebook's default photo uploader is a Java applet.  Ever since
a recent update (I think it was when Ubuntu 9.04 came out?), the native
widgets in the applet are invisible.

That is, things like scrollbars, checkboxes, and (the borders to) buttons
are invisible.  I can click them, if I point at them.  (i.e., if I click
kind of near the upper left of a photo thumbnail, where I remember the
checkbox being, I see the word "Upload" (which SHOULD be in a button widget)
change from grey to black.  Or if I click and drag back and forth in the
blank space to the right of the thumbnails, I can scroll up and down.)

I'm using Firefox 3.0.11 and "sun-java6-bin" package version "6-13-1".
(If I'm confused about which package is providing the JVM for applets
under Firefox, please excuse me.)

A quick Google search for "ubuntu java applet invisible"
and "ubuntu java widgets invisible" didn't come up with anything useful,
so far.

Anyone else notice this?  Ideas how to fix?  Thanks!

Sent from my computer