[vox-tech] starting xwindows

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 26 20:56:50 PDT 2007

Quoting Gandalf Parker (gandalf at any1can.net):

> OK that seemed to get the same result. An xwindow session, but no gnome
> menus. Just the debian splash screen and a mouse cursor.

Um, I'd really very strongly suspect that you're missing some key
packages.  Maybe you're missing the intended window manager, for
example (metacity, or whatever the frell they use, these days)?  I mean,
/usb/bin/gnome-session doesn't do a lot of good if key parts of your
intended GNOME stuff just ain't there.

> But thanks for a new thing to try.

Well, it was much more intended as a pointer to get you going in the
right direction, rather than as just a "thing to try".  You might, as
further motion in that correct direction, attempt to start your GNOME
thingies, and then Ctrl-Alt-F2 and look through the process table, to
see what specifically started, and what didn't.

I'm not a GNOME fan, so personally I regard absence of a huge cluster of
GNOME service processes as a _good_ thing, but of course Views Differ<tm>.