[vox-tech] starting xwindows

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Mon Mar 26 20:28:00 PDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Rick Moen wrote:

>> Ive tried startx, xinit, gdm
>
> Make sure you have package "xbase-clients" installed.  It's the one that
> contains startx.

Those all worked. They just didnt seem to get me into gnome. And gnome
worked at one time also altho only at bootup as far as I know.

> I believe the approved way to start GNOME from the command line is to
> exec /usr/bin/gnome-session, somehow, e.g., by putting a line to that
> effect in your .xinitrc file (and then do "startx", I guess).

OK that seemed to get the same result. An xwindow session, but no gnome
menus. Just the debian splash screen and a mouse cursor.

But thanks for a new thing to try.

Gandalf  Parker