[vox-tech] starting xwindows

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 26 20:02:18 PDT 2007

Quoting Gandalf Parker (gandalf at any1can.net):

> someone have some quick command-lines I can try to get into xwindows
> (debian) and preferably into gnome altho anything wouldnt matter much.
>
> Ive tried startx, xinit, gdm

Make sure you have package "xbase-clients" installed.  It's the one that
contains startx.

I believe the approved way to start GNOME from the command line is to
exec /usr/bin/gnome-session, somehow, e.g., by putting a line to that
effect in your .xinitrc file (and then do "startx", I guess).

gnome-session turns out to be is in the -- what else? -- "gnome-session"
package.

Of course, that's not going to accomplish a lot unless the rest of the,
er, collection of packages comprising GNOME are also present.