[vox-tech] starting xwindows

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Mon Mar 26 19:49:49 PDT 2007

someone have some quick command-lines I can try to get into xwindows
(debian) and preferably into gnome altho anything wouldnt matter much.

Ive tried startx, xinit, gdm

Please do not tell me how to get it to default to xwindows on bootup. It
used to do that (so I know xwindows did work) and it took me a long time
to kill that so I dont want it back. But I now have ONE program that I
want to try in xwindows so Im trying to get it up so I can try something
(and then quit it again probably forever). Im a die-hard text-mode guy for
my servers.

When Im at the console and I type the above commands I get a blank
graphic-mode screen with a working mouse cursor but no menu

Gandalf  Parker