[vox-tech] Re: How to get started with Linux

Kyle Oliveira kcoliveira at ucdavis.edu
Sun Mar 11 14:22:58 PDT 2007

> Tim Coddington <jacod at comcast.net> wrote: I am a mostly Windows user
> trying to make the jump.
>
> So I bought a new computer (the parts are still in various boxes around
> the house) and
> downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 6.10 onto my PC.  Burnt the copy onto a DVD
> (to large to use
> a CD being .73 Gig).
>
> It seems that I am completely clue-free on where to go next.  The suffix
> of the file is .iso.  So
> how do I open it to see what is inside?  No utilities recognize that
> suffix.  Since DVD drivers
> don't come with Linux, is there a way to get it onto a CD?

I know other folks offered other programs, but since you have a Windows
machine you may check to see if you have Nero (it seems to come bundled
with the PC more and more often nowadays). Nero 6 came with my Alienware
and it has a specific .iso burning utility that's fairly easy to find in
the Smart Start window that pops up when you select Nero. Besides that you
may try DVD Shrink. It's free, just search for it online. It handles CD/DVD
ripping and burning.

Kyle Oliveira
2nd Year Computer Science Major
UC Davis