[vox-tech] Resizing partition ext3

Wade Pinkston blata at extent0006.entomology.ohio-state.edu
Mon Mar 12 08:10:00 PDT 2007

You might be interested in checking out gparted live CD
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I used recently to resize 5 partitions at once.  Worked like a charm.

Alex Mandel wrote:
> What I have(partitions):
> P1: NTFS(Windows)
> P2: Ext3(/)
> P3: Fat32
>
> What I want to do:
> Make P1 smaller
> Make P2 larger
>
> Questions:
> As long as I turn off journaling on my ext3(make it ext2) then I should
> be able to resize it, even if that means adding to the front end of the
> partition?
> I'm not worried about resizing the NTFS, that's how I got linux onto
> this machine to begin with.
>
> Do I need to have free space in order to perform operations like this
> other than the space that is obviously being shifted?
>
> I'm going to backup /etc, /home but how do I backup a list of all
> installed software so that if something goes wrong and I want to get
> back to what I have without remembering every package I've ever added.
> Preferably some automatic list that I could re-apt
> -An alternate use to this idea that I've been thinking about, if I
> change computers and want to bring a new machine up to the same set of
> software fast I would need some list that apt can run through.
>
> Thanks - Alex

Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition