[vox-tech] Re: How to get started with Linux

Jeffrey Nonken jjn.lugod at nonken.net
Sun Mar 11 15:10:22 PDT 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Kyle Oliveira wrote:

> I know other folks offered other programs, but since you have a
> Windows
> machine you may check to see if you have Nero (it seems to come
> bundled
> with the PC more and more often nowadays). Nero 6 came with my
> Alienware
> and it has a specific .iso burning utility that's fairly easy to
> find in
> the Smart Start window that pops up when you select Nero. Besides
> that you

...except that it usually associates itself with .iso files when it's
installed, which is why I didn't mention it. If he had it installed,
double-clicking on the ISO file should have brought it up. So I
assumed he didn't have it.

Still, it is worth looking for. It is possible I believe to install
it without the association. Or if you've bought an external drive,
maybe you didn't install Nero, but you may have the installation disc.

> may try DVD Shrink. It's free, just search for it online. It
> handles CD/DVD
> ripping and burning.

AFAIK DVD Shrink does not itself burn. It uses Nero. At work, where I
do not have a copy of Nero that does DVDs, I use DVD Shrink to
generate ISO files and then use DeepBurner to burn the ISOs.

I do use DVD Shrink a lot though, for shrinking DVDs. It's a great
little program. :)