[vox-tech] Re: Where to download current version of Linux?

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Sat Mar 3 12:20:29 PST 2007

På 2007-03-02, skrev Tim Coddington:
> Not certain how much an emergency this is, but I would like to get to work asap.
>
> So I just got a new motherboard/cpu/memory/DVD/dual-output monitor and would like to load Linux onto it.  System information follows:
>
> Motherboard:        ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI
>     Buget motherboard ($73) with DVI Graphics-SI RoHS DVI graphics card for a dual monitor output
>     http://www.legitreviews.com/article/419/1/
> CPU:                   Core2 Duo E4300    1.80GHz @ 800 FSB, 2MB Cache
> Memory:              Kingston PC2-5300, DDR2 667MHz, 1GB stick (2 sticks to match slots for total of 2GB)
> Ports:                  2 - USB 2.0 (USB01), 2 - USB 2.0 (USB23), 4 - SATAII, VGA, DVI, Parallel, RJ45 w/ 10/100/1000
> Power supply:      500W ATX Ultra V Series
> Disk Drive:           SATAII, 300MB/s, 250GB, 16MB Cache, 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar
> DVD Rewriter:      LG GSA-H22L 18X Super Multi DVD Rewriter w/LightScribe
> Fan:                    XDream for Socket LGA775
> Case:                  Ultra Wizard Steel Series ATX Mid-Tower PC Case
> Monitor 1:            NEC JC 2148-UMW    June 1999, 21 inch boat anchor
> Monitor 2:            Unknown 21 inch boat anchor, probably NEC also
> Keyboard/Mouse: Unknown, generic
>
> So these parts are all laying around on my floor now and :):):) I'd kinda like ta put it all in the case this next week.  But I need an operating system for it.  Would like to use web apps (Mozilla?), listen/watch to CD/DVD, run 2 monitors, load with Star office, JAVA, C++, PERL, + others to practice programming, a way, if possible to get a couple older windows applications running.
>
> Would you be so kind as to suggest a good OS and version and tell me where to download it from?  Something fairly easy to load and a bit generic so anyone can help if I get stuck.  (I'd like to try to load it myself.)

I suggest Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy). You can get it from one of the mirrors
listed from ubuntu.com. The default install image is a graphical
installer; it is very easy to use but fails occasionally on some
hardware configurations. The 'altinstall' image has a text-mode
installer that is only slightly less easy to use and it is very robust
(I have never seen it fail). Getting the dual-monitor setup working just
right is a little fiddly; you should consider getting help at a LUGOD
installfest for that*. DVD playback requires proprietary software not
distributed with Linux (any version) in the typical case of encrypted
DVDs (most off-the-shelf DVDs of Hollywood movies are encrypted). You
can learn about that and other software addons from the Ubuntu Guide
Wiki.**

[*] http://lugod.org/if
[**] http://ubuntuguide.org

For older windows apps, there are two approaches: emulating a windows
box (meaning there will be an actual copy of windows running inside a
virtualized environment within Linux); this is typically done with
Win4Lin or VMWare (both proprietary programs that can be purchased for
under $100). Recent Intel and AMD CPUs (perhaps yours included) support
native virtualization instructions, which allows you to use Xen* to run
Windows inside Linux; Xen is free and available as a package in Ubuntu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen

Alternately, many older windows applications can run with the Wine
compatibility libraries*; in this case no actually windows OS is
required. This is the preferred method when available. Not all software
is compatible but many common apps are.

[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29 and
    http://www.winehq.org

I highly recommend that you sign up for LUGOD's mailing lists, if you
are not on them already. Don't hesitate to ask for help there at any
stage of the process. Have fun!

- --
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13