[vox-tech] System Slow down

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Tue Mar 6 11:07:13 PST 2007

Every now and then my FC3 server gets bogged down with heavy disk usage, to
the point where the system is unusable and I have to reboot.  I've tried

# tail -f /var/log/messages

but nothing comes up when this happens.  Also, nothing unusual crops up when I
examine dmesg; the system just bogs down heavily for no obvious reason.

I'm not sure what I could be checking for.  I've run chkrootkit, and nothing
suspicious showed up there.  My "messages" logs showed nothing unusual, but
if the system had been cracked, of course, whoever did it may have been smart
enough to cover their tracks that way.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice?

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie