[vox-tech] mouse is too fast

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 21:32:49 PST 2007

I've got a ps/2 mouse on a desktop that makes the pointer move too
quickly in Linux:  the pointer moves too far for a corresponding
physical movement of the mouse.  I've turned acceleration off, and it is
still too fast.  By googling, I've found two things to try.  The first
is to set the mouse resolution in the X11 config file, like

Option "Resolution"    "256"

However, this does not make any difference for me.  I read that this
used to work before X11 version 4 (and Xorg-X11), but not anymore.  The
other recommended method is to set the acceleration to a fractional
value, e.g.

$ xset m 1/2 1

This doesn't do anything on my computer either.  It seems the lowest the
actual acceleration will be is 1/1, even though "xet q" displays the
fractional value I entered.  Any ideas?  It seems someone would have
fixed this obviously buggy feature by now, but apparently not!  FWIW,
the mouse moves at what feels to be the correct rate in Windows on the
same computer, at about half the speed it moves in Linux.

Thanks,
Jonathan