[vox-tech] Fwd: vox-tech Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:08:11 PDT 2007

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:59:51 -0700
"John Marcotte" <john at badmouth.net> wrote:

> > I strongly suggest using the 'alternate installer' CD instead of the
> > regular Ubuntu installer. The alternate CD provides a text-mode
> > installer similar to the traditional Debian installer. It is much
> > more reliable than the GUI installer.
>
> I tried this next and experienced an almost identical freeze. The
> alternate install CD actually has a small graphical interface that
> asks if you want to do a text install. When I choose text install, it
> switches to a blank screen and freezes.
>
> > You might also want to try installing into a chroot environment
> > within your running Debian installation using debootstrap (not the
> > regular bootable installer). Feel free to ask for more details on
> > this method if you choose to use it.
> >

> I suspected there was a method like this, but I'm an end user not a
> system admin. I'm not sure how to do this.

There's no such thing as an end user in Linux, especially if you're
planning to do your own install ;)

Ubuntu gives some directions here.
http://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/linux-upgrade.html
I imagine you can figure out how to adjust appropriately for your
particular setup.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/