[vox-tech] Fwd: vox-tech Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Aug 1 18:09:14 PDT 2007

Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:59:51 -0700
> "John Marcotte" <john at badmouth.net> wrote:
>
>>> I strongly suggest using the 'alternate installer' CD instead of the
>>> regular Ubuntu installer. The alternate CD provides a text-mode
>>> installer similar to the traditional Debian installer. It is much
>>> more reliable than the GUI installer.
>> I tried this next and experienced an almost identical freeze. The
>> alternate install CD actually has a small graphical interface that
>> asks if you want to do a text install. When I choose text install, it
>> switches to a blank screen and freezes.
>>
>>> You might also want to try installing into a chroot environment
>>> within your running Debian installation using debootstrap (not the
>>> regular bootable installer). Feel free to ask for more details on
>>> this method if you choose to use it.
>>>
>> I suspected there was a method like this, but I'm an end user not a
>> system admin. I'm not sure how to do this.
>
> There's no such thing as an end user in Linux, especially if you're
> planning to do your own install ;)
>
> Ubuntu gives some directions here.
> http://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/linux-upgrade.html
> I imagine you can figure out how to adjust appropriately for your
> particular setup.
>
> --Ken

Oh, I forgot in my reply a couple of minutes ago. Worst case scenario,
which I had to do on a PIII rack server whose CD liked to hang, was to
use the MinimalCD, it's a 8MB boot CD which then does everything else
over the net. It's a little slower, but it works on funky hardware
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Alex