[vox-tech] Fwd: vox-tech Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

John Marcotte john at badmouth.net
Wed Aug 1 12:59:51 PDT 2007

> I strongly suggest using the 'alternate installer' CD instead of the
> regular Ubuntu installer. The alternate CD provides a text-mode
> installer similar to the traditional Debian installer. It is much more
> reliable than the GUI installer.

I tried this next and experienced an almost identical freeze. The
alternate install CD actually has a small graphical interface that
asks if you want to do a text install. When I choose text install, it
switches to a blank screen and freezes.

> You might also want to try installing into a chroot environment within
> your running Debian installation using debootstrap (not the regular
> bootable installer). Feel free to ask for more details on this method if
> you choose to use it.

I suspected there was a method like this, but I'm an end user not a
system admin. I'm not sure how to do this.

--
John Marcotte