[vox-tech] wifi

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Sep 1 10:39:06 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:12:56PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> the whole reply-to uhhh... "controversy"  makes me yawn.  can't bring myself
> to care about it one way or another.  i'd rather think about what i'm about
> to eat for lunch.

Indeed.  LUGOD's lists have been that way for nearly 8 years now.

Admittedly, I've set up my Mutt RC file to map the [R] key to "List Reply"
(normally [L]) when I'm in certain folders (ones in which listmail goes to,
e.g., my non-LUGOD LUG inbox)...  So now I don't even worry whether a list
has Reply-To set or not.

What's _nice_ about Reply-To is (1) when new (or forgetful) people go to
[R]eply to a post, it goes back to the list, which is where they want it 99%
of the time, and (2) people don't have to always do Reply-to-[A]ll to make
sure it goes back to the list (which also ends up sending duplicates to
at least the person whose post they're replying to, if not everyone else in
the thread!)

I check my _inbox_ first, so if I see a reply to a LUG post there, I _assume_
they wanted to take it off-list.  (Unless I look really close at the headers
to see if they were doing a Reply-to-[A]ll.)  So if I learn later that it
was also sent to the list, I have to go back, find the message in my 'sent'
box, and post it back to the list... usually ends up killing threading,
since I'm no longer replying.

Wow, ok, I've had too much coffee already. ;)

-bill!
PS - See me at SF-LUG this Sunday, 11am to 1pm! ;)